Archway to the kitchen

The archway to the kitchen is better than it looks…


A more head on view, and you can see the profile looking rather better in the reflection in the balcony door, shows that the arch is not too far from being a perfect hemisphere. If this was done purely by hand and eye then it’s not a bad effort.


The green circle is what I would have considered to be perfect but I actually prefer the top of the arch being a little higher (as shown by the red circle) and it doesn’t stretch the imagination too much to see how good it could be made to look with a bit of fine tuning… and with the walls being finished properly. Perhaps even line the arch and/or disguise any rough edges with architrave, or some creative paintwork…


Floor Tiling Orientation

This is how we’ve decided to lay the floor tiles. The only tiles laid so far are the ones in the bathroom, which are at a slightly higher level than the floor in the rest of the apartment (which is all the same level). In an ideal world the floor there would have been the same level too, and the joint lines would then have needed to mitre perfectly with the ones in the corridor leading to the living room, but the differing height and the fact that we plan to put a bevelled edge between the two floor levels (instead of a step… bearing in mind that we may need to get a wheeled contraption into the bathroom at some point) means that matching the joints is neither easy nor actually critical: the bathroom door will generally be closed and the ramped threshold will tend to disguise any imperfection in the mitreing.

Flat 9 Floor Tile Orientation

There are just three doorways where the orientation of the tiles changes so we can put some brass strip between the adjoining areas. I’d like to fit drop seals to the doors to seal the gap at the bottom, so the floor itself will allow a wheelchair to travel around the apartment virtually unhindered.

We have a new house (for the boiler)

It looks a little unsightly with the factory wrapping still on but it’ll look ok once we’ve painted it up to blend in with the wall, but this is the new enclosure for the gas boiler which is going on the living room balcony.

It’s very high - it remains to be see where the condenser unit for the living room split air conditioner is going to go as the internal part is directly behind this enclosure, but we’ll find out soon as the A/C is due to be moved from our current home to the new one today. So long as they make a neat hole for the cable and pipe (one which keeps the spiders out!) I don’t care.

Boiler enclosure

We’ve put a down payment on the boiler to reserve it just so we could build the enclosure to the right size - we needed to do this now because the rain was getting in where the under floor heating hoses entered the building.

You can see here the temporary “wall” we built to try and stop the water getting in.

Inside the boiler enclosure

I have no idea how it all works - I should have demanded an operation and maintenance manual for the heating system. I think we’ll need to label where all these hoses go in case we need to adjust the heat in any of the rooms… as I hope we can.

Mustn’t forget about corner guards!

Wall corner guardI can’t remember where I took this picture but it shows a nicely thunk about corner guard which shows that they don’t need to be unsightly stainless steel armour plating. I suppose it’s possible to simply make them fairly robust but replaceable, and hardwood would probably be better at taking (and hiding) the inevitable knocks from Georgi’s wheelchair than ceramic… the thought crossed my mind of using the same wood-effect ceramic tile we have on the floor, but it would chip very easily.

Final (or maybe not) kitchen material & colour selection

We returned to the kitchen materials shop today to discover that the materials we liked first time around weren’t laminated MDF after all - just laminated chipboard - so we needed to make another selection.

Lana’s favourite was what she called “Dirty White” (Code 0811) - with one aspect of the purchase being on her mind… how to keep it looking clean. Lana is holding the floor tile we’ll have in the kitchen, to see how it looks.


The alternative (my favourite, Code 0804, but not so easy to keep looking clean) was the more yellow colour:


It’s difficult to see the colours properly on the internet, or even take a decent photo of the material in the shop, but they were on display in the same place so this gives an approximate comparison of the two shades of colour:


The lower one is definitely a more grey colour. Possibly the closest I could imagine the kitchen looking like in the colour which Lana chose is something like this:


It IS an incredibly difficult thing to decide on - I think the best we can do in a situation like this is to just go for it and, if we don’t like it, put up with it and  put it on our list of improvements to make once we’ve got over the financial hump of getting the place fit to live in.